Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Summer will be gone too soon

Well, I've really been enjoying the summertime here in the ol' Northwest. We recently picked up an Easy Rider canoe with some accessories, and a whole new world of activity is becoming evident to us. I knew we had a lot of rivers and sloughs, but I guess it never occurred to me how much more accessible they were than where I lived in Georgia.



Also, no mosquitos! I can't express how different it is to not be assaulted by mosquitos and humidity. I've found that there are a lot of reasons why folks in this part of the country love nature so much. It's not as cruel to basic activities as it is most elsewhere.

A quick Summer Summation:
Vancouver and Chilliwack, BC - by automobile
Skagit Valley Highland Games & Celtic Festival - by automobile
Portland, OR - by train
Bainbridge island - by ferry/automobile
Solstice parade - by bus










Our vegetables:
Squash - Not gonna try again next year. Every year, powdery mildew decimates them
Green Beans - These did fantastic! We will definitely do them again next season
Raspberries and Strawberries - strangley not as many as last year. We jammed them again with an agave-sweetened freezer jam recipe
Hops - The rhyzomes I' planted from last year did not grow anything this year. I will start from scratch next season


In the works for the upcoming season(s):
Cabbage, Kale, Brussel Sprouts - First time, we'll see how these work for Fall and winter crops.

No comments: